Thursday, February 5, 2009

gestational diabetes. yuck.

so i found out last friday (1/30) that i have gestational diabetes. boo.

they had me come in monday to give me a meter to check my blood sugar and showed me how to use it. then, i was supposed to see a nutritionist to make sure i've got a good idea of what i should or shouldn't eat. well, they STILL haven't gotten me the info to contact this person, nor has the nutritionist contacted me. i'm getting REALLY frustrated b/c i keep going over my goal, but i feel like i'm not doing anything inherently wrong. the only thing i've figured out is that i can't eat fruit. or certain veggies. SO NOT GOOD! i had a salad yesterday and that was fine, i even had a few raisins on it. i'm sure some other veggies would be ok too (carrots, broccoli, both of which i love), but so far, applesauce and corn both send me over my goal and that sucks. it really irritates me. . . especially when i had some cheesecake yesterday at lunch and that was ok, but the corn in my dinner last night sent me over. ugh. i'm really annoyed b/c they said it could be up to 2 WEEKS before the nutritionist calls to set up an appointment!

TWO WEEKS!!!!!

that's ridiculous! in the mean time, i'm totally guessing (and guessing wrong, apparently) at what i should be eating. . . and i have a doctor's appointment next week, most likely before i'll be able to see the nutritionist, where they're gonna look at my numbers. . . i'm nervous they'll see that i'm going over and make me do insulin shots. i SO don't wanna do that if i can avoid it. i just need some help figuring out what i CAN eat. . . the only things so far that i know for sure i'm ok on are salad, bagels w/ cream cheese, and peanut butter sandwiches. i can't live on that alone for the next 3 months. . . i seriously just want to cry right now, i hate this. . . :*(

2 comments:

  1. Hey Evelyn!

    So, I did major in nutrition and that is what I do. I counsel people about diabetes and gestaional diabetes. SO, I can tell you what you can and can not eat and where your blood sugars should be at. Since the retard of a nutritionist has not gotten back to you. You can email me at lildebbie829@aol.com with questions. I don't mind sending you some information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should be able to eat fruit. its a natural sugar. you prob can't eat a ton but you should be okay eating a little.

    the cream cheese and the peanut butter helps you balence out the carbs bc of the protein. but watch the amt of pb too, bc it does have some carbs.

    corn- esp canned has a LOT of carbs. so do most white things, like apples, potatoes, cauliflower (i think), and bananas.

    are you a meat eater? cheese? both those are a-ok! =] good luckkkkkkk you'll be okay! =]

    ReplyDelete