Friday, May 21, 2010

enfamil is spreading lies again!

so enfamil is at it again - claiming that their baby formula is superior to other brands, even though the proof is not there. their claim is that their formula is the one one w/ the "triple health guard" that improves growth, brain and eye health when compared to other formulas. this visual is used in their tv ads, as well as on their website:


it basically says that if you use any other formula to feed your baby, they'll have crappy vision when they're a year old, but if you use enfamil w/ triple health guard, they'll have almost perfect vision. it's a load of crap b/c all formulas are THE SAME!

but i almost forgot - enfamil DOES have something different! they have CHOCOLATE flavored formula! (and vanilla too, don't forget that!) as if we didn't already have an obesity epidemic in this country, we're now going to offer liquid candy to our babies!

my question is this: what's so wrong w/ breastfeeding our babies? there are a very few select women who cannot produce enough, but MOST moms can have an ample supply if they never supplement, even in the beginning. there are medical conditions that make breastfeeding difficult, dangerous, or even impossible, but those cases are vastly outweighed by moms who simply choose not to nurse. there are so many misconceptions out there surrounding breastfeeding, and i hope that i can help to dispel some of those myths. even if i have to do it one mother at a time, i hope i can make a difference for someone. :)

4 comments:

  1. so glad you posted this. it angers me when these formula companies try to make it seem as though they are producing, no manufacturing, something superior to what nature produces. so essentially, if my child is breastfed he will have less than perfect vision? pshaw. thanks enfamil, nice try. but i'm not buying it, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is possible that their formula is superior to other formulas on the market. I believe that they really do want to provide a product that is the best it can be for those who choose to use it for whatever reason. I, for one, am glad that there was a reasonable alternative when things just didn't work out for Carolyn and Bryan. Yes, it would have been possible to find someone we could pay to be a wet nurse like they did before there was formula, but that requires a lot of trust in the other female to understand the importance of the task she is being asked to perform.

    Also, if you notice, the lurking acknowledgment in the claims to being the formula "most like mother's milk" is mother's milk is the real target they have been trying to reach since the invention of the stuff. It would be nice to have the three-way comparison between vision with the old formula, the new formula, and mother's milk.

    I do wish they would make a larger emphasis on the importance of breast feeding. I want to hope it is because they expect mothers to have become educated on their own and expect everyone to have the personal responsibility to make their own informed decisions. Then again, they have pulled some pretty bad stunts in the past (like the formula for the nursing mothers in Africa).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that breastfeeding is important, but it's not for everyone. My MIL couldn't produce milk, my SIL lost her supply after trying everything at 2 mo. post-partum, my other SIL had troubles breastfeeding.
    I've been blessed enough to breastfeed both of my girls but had to supplement my youngest when she was jaundice and needed to gain weight.

    I left you a Beautiful Blogger award here cause you rock: http://futurebodyartist.blogspot.com/2010/07/thanks-for-being-beautiful.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to breast feed my baby so bad!! But when he was 3 days I was basically starving him because I didnt have anything, we were up at the hospital and the nurse told me I needed to start supplementing. I did so my baby could grow as he needed. For 3 weeks I continued to try to breastfeed him, and then I said I couldnt-it was physically painful (trying to breastfeed and not having anything-literally), mentally exhausting as well as physically exhausting (I would breast feed him, have my husband give him a bottle while I pumped.) I tried and decided that it was okay if I didnt breastfeed because the well being of my son. I hope to be able to breast feed my next kid though.

    ReplyDelete