Monday, March 16, 2009

fighting w/ my ob

ok, so those of you who remember when i was pregnant w/ trevor know full well that i could not WAIT to get him out and not be pregnant anymore. well, this should make you all giggle a little then. . . b/c i'm fighting w/ my doc now over the fact that they want to induce me at 39 weeks instead of letting nature take its course. i find it kinda ironic myself. . .

ok, so here's the full story:

according to my doctor, it's routine to induce gestational diabetic moms at 39 weeks if they haven't had the baby yet. i know this is to prevent deterioration of the placenta and things like that, so i know it isn't 100% about convenience. BUT if i understand things correctly, a deteriorating placenta should only be an issue if blood sugars aren't well controlled. i'm willing to do whatever i need to in order to keep mine under control till nudger arrives. so when the doc told me today that they wanted me to schedule my induction for 39 weeks, i asked how much say i have in that. i do NOT want to be induced by any means unless it's medically necessary. the doc tried to appease me by saying that instead of doing pitocin, they could try breaking my water and see what happens. that's still not something i'm comfortable w/, so i said so. the end of the conversation about it was something like they'll wait till jon is home from his deployment as long as things look ok. at that point, they WILL induce me if i haven't gone into labor on my own.

i'm not exactly happy about this, but i know that it's my right as a patient to refuse if i really don't want this. what i'm hoping is that the baby will come on his own before they start to insist on an induction and it won't be an issue, but i'm not gonna count on that happening. my biggest worry is for nudger. when trevor was born, even at 41 weeks, he still had some breathing difficulties and needed a shot of surfactant to get him breathing right. i don't wanna risk the same thing happening to nudger just b/c the timing is more convenient for the docs. they can do nst's and things like that to make sure he's still doing well in there, i just get the idea that they don't want to. i WILL fight this though - as long as things look good in there, i do NOT want to be induced. i want nudger to come when he's good and ready, not when some doctor says he should come.

any advice on handling this tactfully and in a way that myself and the docs won't get upset would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

6 comments:

  1. I am SOOOO proud of you for saying no!! You have to protect that baby and that is the first step in doing so! Let me ask my doula if she has any advice for you. And I'll get back to you!

    I would personally NOT recommend pitocin obviously OR them breaking your water. If they break your water then they will say you need to have him within 24hrs and they will end up inducing anyways....

    I'm thinking about you!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes, you DO have the right to say no! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1595289

    my friend JUST posted this article^

    this is her blog: http://birthfaith.blogspot.com/2009/03/more-awfulness.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah my doula said you can definitely say no thanks to both those options. (i copied and pasted what she said below)
    -----------------
    She has every right to say NO to any of that, just as she did.
    Induction in any means gives the mom a 30% higher chance of cesarean...
    baby will come when BABY is ready...
    if there is a health issue, the mom's body usually indicates that somehow.
    If she is doing fine with her sugars, then I would say,
    with good monitoring she has every right to make up her own mind.
    Breaking the water withOUT being in labor is a total NO NO. Then what if labor does not happen?
    Induction, pitocin, hard labor...ugh

    Does she know natural means of induction?
    I could send her some info on that...
    -----------------

    (email me: hcsteffen@gmail.com and i'll forward you the attachment of 'natural induction') =]

    I HOPE i helped at least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This doesn't really address the induction issue but it does cover your other concern. Talk to your doctor about Trevor's difficulty breathing and cite that as your major concern about inducing. Then, ask if you can be given meds that will help speed up lung development--I think its just a steroid. I'm pretty sure that alone would buy you a few days, because you will have to have a little time for the medicine to kick in. I hope this helps some too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anna - they know about trevor, i brought it up at that appointment. the thing about the steroids for their lungs is that after 34 weeks, it doesn't really do much. . . and i'm 35 1/2 weeks. PLUS it's a series of shots, not just one or a pill or something. i sure that i'll win on this issue b/c i am the patient and it's my body, i'm just not sure how to go about it w/out stepping on any toes. . .

    ReplyDelete